Friday, May 30, 2008

Monks, Nuns and the Kitchen Sink

Ok, so I thought I would tell you about a little something called traffic. In case you don't know, the DC area was rated the worst commute in the nation. On average it takes about and hour to an hour and a half to make it 10-15 miles. Even with all the public transportation available, the roads are still filled to the breaking point with cars. Rush hour is always worse. But anyway, I digress from what I really wanted to talk about. Aside from needing some serious "samurai driving skills" to keep yourself from dying with all the crazies on the road, and alot of time to get anywhere, traffic can be quite entertaining. Take today for example. On the way to pick up our fancy schmancy new stroller (to be posted in a later blog) I saw a mini-van full of nuns. Actually I saw two mini-vans full of nuns. Apparently they van-pool. Crazy right? Then on the freeway to pick Mark up from the metro-station I saw a Volvo full of Buddhist monks. Speeding. Coupled with the nuns that makes for a fairly interesting drive. However, it doesn't end there. A few miles up the road there was motorcycle. I probably wouldn't have noticed it, but lately Braxton seems to think the two-wheeled contraptions are the coolest. So as he's yelling "yook yook mommy, a motocyco" I notice that the motorcycle has a very very large kitchen sink tied onto it. Not something you see everyday right? Anyway there was to be one more encounter that made traffic fairly enjoyable today. A unicyclist crossing the street. Against the light. Yes, pedestrians are stupid here too. Anyway, this should inspire you to think about the awful traffic I deal with on a daily basis and thank God that you don't have the worst commute in the nation (you don't have the number two either cuz I don't know anyone in New York City). It should also tell you you should keep your eyes open for things that you don't normally see everyday. I mean, who knew monks drove Volvo's?

0 reviews: