Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The schedule

So about six weeks ago I started running. To get into shape, and do something physical where my kids can see Mark and I actually doing it. That isn't possible when I just drop them off at the gym daycare. At the end of each run we let Braxton out of our really cool stroller (nope, the coolness hasn't worn off. Even though it did manage to break my face a little...) and he runs the last leg while Mark and I "try to keep up". Its great.
I'm gonna step up on my soap box here and say that every family should do some sort of physical activity together. The childhood obesity rate is astronomical, and a lot of it is solely the parents fault. Poor diet, and poor activity levels. Kids aren't born knowing that McD's every night is bad for you and too much video game time can turn you into a sloth. Parents - Kids emulate YOU! I'm not saying you have to do anything huge, take a walk in the evenings after work, and maybe try to work a few more veggies into your diet. I can't ever get Braxton to eat his veggies, but he does see Mark and I chow down on them -all the time. You don't have to be Lance Armstrong or completely swear off all things unhealthy (what fun would life be then?) But a little bit can go a long way, and your kids learn from you. So just set the example! Alright, I'm stepping down.

So anyway, this is what the schedule of my first month of running was like.

The boxes that were Xed out were the days I didn't complete. I know lame right. Well, we had alot of visitors in that week and I just didn't seem to be able to make time. Mondays and Fridays are my favorite days of the week. Yes, the R.D. Stands for Rest day. Saturdays are my least favorite days since those are my "endurance lengthening days". If you're thinking this is a pitiful schedule, you're probably right and didn't just pop out a kid seven months ago. But it was kind of a struggle to start out. I'm loving it now. I'm losing that baby weight at a fairly steady rate, and I sleep better at night. Running, who would have thought its the cure to insomnia?

2 reviews:

Rochelle said...

you motivate me. kill. :) but seriously...

Mommy McD said...

I know right?! Who woulda thunk I enjoyed running!