Wednesday, March 30, 2011

When You're Sitting on Your Arse ALL Day, At Least Exercise Your Brain.

{Updated to add:  DO NOT READ "The Birthing House".  It was awful.  There was a sentence in there, that completely boggled my  mind; "I could smell the ozone in the air".  WTF?  Anyway, it was a horrendous read.  After I had it finished, I read the reviews on goodreads.  I should have done that first...
DON'T READ THIS BOOK!}


Alright.  So, I was sick.
Oldest has been sick.
I'm nursing.
All of this has caused a serious stagnation in the exercise department.  I feel fat, blobby, squishy, and most of all unhealthy and unhappy.  (And before a single person says ANYTHING let me say; I may be a small, petite person and currently a size most women would kill to be at {though, in my opinion, wanting to be anything but healthy is silly.  If you're healthy and happy - you're gorgeous} but I'm not happy because I know I'm not currently fit, I'm still carrying 10-15 lbs of extra weight {not sure, don't own a scale} and I'm not good at stagnant.  I feel mentally, and physically better when I'm working out at least four days a week.  So please, don't tell me I'm fine because "I'm so tiny".  I'm not healthy, and that's not good.  Regardless of size.)


So, I've been reading.  If I'm going to be stuck at home, on the couch - at least my brain is getting a workout.  In the last week here's a run-down of what I've read:

1.
I really, really enjoyed this book.
I couldn't put it down.  I had a hard time reading about the animal abuse
and some of the events towards the end.
The movie won't even do it justice.  It can't. 
2.

Insert "bird flu" or "H1N1" for "Zombie virus" and this book will freak you out.
I found out after I read it that Max Brooks is Mel Brooks' son.
I was pretty freaked out by one man's ability to write a book like this, until I found that out.
His dad was a comedic genius.
There is a fine line between genius and insanity.
Apparently, it's genetic. 
3.
The last three of these books will never amount to the first three in the series.
But, it was enjoyable and frivolous.  Just what I needed after World War Z.  

4.
Well, lets see.
This book was a good read.
I'm impressed that he did this at 19, and I hope to read more of his work.
I think J. Falwell was a complete nut, though I applaud Roose's attempt to make him a little more appealing.
His depiction of life at Liberty University is pretty much what I imagined it would be,
and I probably wouldn't have tried to be as unbiased going into it as he did. 
5.

This book was weird and not what I was expecting based on the description.
  I did not enjoy it.
But I didn't hate it.
I don't think I recommend.  Unless you like weird. 
 6.
I'm only five pages into this.
I can't tell if you if it's good or not. 
Also in my library bag are:

Also author of "Bonk: The curious coupling of science and sex".
Which I loved. 
I'll let you know how they are.

3 reviews:

Rochelle said...

Loved "Water for Elephants"! I haven't even heard of any of the others...I'm so out of the reading loop, haha :)

Mrs. Wookie said...

The only reason why I liked the birthing house...is 1/3 of the way in. I give it a vodka tonic up.

Lindsay said...

Um. Wow. I can't believe you've read that much. I just BARELY started reading again after Carter. But I've read 3 books in the last few weeks. I just started Water for Elephants yesterday. So good so far.
If you like memoirs, try the Glass Castle. Very disturbing.
My whole family is CRAZY about reading so if you ever need suggestions, let me know. Between my mom, sister, and brothers, we've got quite the library. I never buy them because I can borrow from the rest of them. :)