Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Tired of this yet?

By "this" I mean the hodge-podge thoughts posts.

Well, if you are, too bad.  Here comes another.

*Yesterday:
I decided not to run at 5am because I had fallen asleep nursing and slept at an awkward upright angle for a few hours (until we started to lean off the bed and Holdeezy woke up) and had a crazy kink in my neck.
I did not get to sleep, however.  Holden was up at 5:15.  Little butthead.
So, I did all those normal morning things and was out the door with the boys by 8am.
After our errands (which I'll discuss momentarily) I came home, made lunch, did all the laundry, cleaned the kitchen and caught up on a show (that I'm too embarrassed to admit I actually watch....), picked the hubband up from the commuter lot, came home, biked 3 miles then ran 3 miles, came home got crabby because I'd forgotten to eat since lunch, fixed tacos at 9pm... went to bed.

*Let me preface this next little segment with this statement:
I loath most of the people on TLC's "Extreme Couponing".  They're hoarders, who justify what they're doing by saving money.  I do not feel it's ok to buy something just because you have a coupon. For instance, 150 candy bars.  I also don't think it's ok to take more than you can possibly use in one year, decdade, lifetime. For instance, the lady who bought 60 mustards, clearing the shelf - only to have her husband declare "nobody in our house even likes mustard".  Unless you donate it to someone who needs it.  In that case I say: Get on with your bad couponing self!


That being said, I live in a house with three boys.  Already our grocery bill each month is downright scary.  SCARY.  They're not even teenagers yet and one doesn't even consume anything but milk.  Which happens to be of the free variety.

So, in an effort to save money so the kids don't literally eat us out of house and home - a friend taught me to coupon.
I'm about to tell you a little about my awesome scores.
Also, I'd like you to know - most everything that we don't use by December will be donated to the homeless shelter and/or our church as part of our regular Christmas donation.  

Total: $120
After coupons: $46
Savings: $73
 This was a Target score.
Deal: Fusion razors - on sale for $9.78.  Buy 2 get a $5 Target gift card.  Coupon for $4 dollars off each razor.  $39.12 - $16.00 - $10.00 = $13.12 for four razors.  $3.28 each. (Essentially the same deal was made on the Venus razors as well.  Just slightly different prices.  
Deal: John Frieda - on sale for $5 dollars each item.  Buy 3 get a $5 gift card.  Coupon for $2 dollars off each item.  $15.00 - $5.00 - $6.00 = $4.00.  $1.35 each. 
Deal: Buy one Old Spice deodorant get one Old Spice body wash free.  Deodorant on sale for $3.00. 



Total: $140
After coupons: $60
Savings: $80
Deals at Bloom.
Bloom was doubling all coupons up to $1.99.  So I took all my big coupons in there.
Deal:  Millstone coffee - on sale for $7.00 per lb.  Coupon for $1.50 off each lb.  Doubled = $3.00 per lb.  $4.00 lb of coffee.  Total $16.00
Deal: Danimals yogurts: On sale for $2.49 a box.  Coupon for $1.00 off each box.  Doubled = $2.00 off.  Each box = 49 cents. $1.50 total.  
Deal: Tampax ended up being $1.50 a box [bought 6]  (I'll cut out the math...)
Deal: Charmin TP ended up being $1.50 a four pack. [bought 8]
Deal: Shaving gel ended up being 99 cents per bottle.  [bought 4]
Deal: Razors (The homeless shelter's news paper ad is always asking for these.  They'll be put to good use - don't worry) ended up being $2.49 (for one razor and six replacement blades each.) [bought 3]
Deal: Tide to go: ended up being $2.00 per pen.  


We're having a hard time couponing actual food.  We won't compromise our health for a good deal and produce is never on sale - nor are there ever coupons for it.  The Danimals yogurts were about as far as I was willing to go.  (The sugar level is suprisingly low and we give them as frozen treats which is infinitely better than a popsicle during the summer)
However, if I can save on things like toilet paper, tampons and... razors, we'll be able to afford the mountains of food consumed by our children without having to starve ourselves!


*
They made me take a picture with the big red Target ball.
We're a seriously weird family.
At least they look cute...

He's found his voice.  Dear lord help me.  I'm not sure I'll stay sane with three loud little boys running through my house...


 Also?  I think he might become mobile sooner than I'd like.

5 reviews:

Rochelle said...

Nice haul! I am headed out to use the Gillette and Venus coupons today, too. Albertson's has a $5 off cartridges store coupon. Also, just in case you didn't know, you guys make cute babies. :)

Rochelle said...

Also, I've never seen the doubling over $1.00. SO JEALOUS!!!

Mrs. Wookie said...

I LOVE me some baby deltoids. Cutest part of the bebes.

Ashley, the Accidental Olympian said...

Explain this to me. Where do you get the second round of coupons to apply to the items already on sale at the store? Just from the paper?

EMM said...

Ohhhhhh, the first baby coos...so sweet. My Munchkin is now 10 months old and he LOVES to "talk", and it's soo easy to forget when they first start those coos, ahhs, ehhhs, and the sweet giggles. So, so, precious!
And great job with the coupons! I'm with you- not willing to compromise on the quality of our food, but I focus on paper/personal/household products and coupons. I'm a huge fan of CVS for that kind of stuff.